VMware has announced General Availability of VMware Cloud Director Availability 4.5 last November.
VMware Cloud Director Availability is a powerful solution used by VMware Cloud Providers to offer simple, secure, and cost-effective onboarding, migration, and disaster recovery as a service to or between multi-tenant VMware clouds.
What are the core capabilities of VMware Cloud Director Availability?
- Intuitive disaster recovery as a service protection and wizard-driven workflows to protect virtual machines (VM) or vApps. Replication and recovery of VMs and vApps between VMware Cloud Director (cloud to cloud) or on-premises to VMware Cloud Director and vice versa. The offering is now available for on-premises vSphere to protect and migrate workloads from dedicated on-premises vCenter site to Cloud vCenter.
- Single on-premises appliance installation for ease of deployment and simplicity for customers replicating to provider vCenter or VMware Cloud Director cloud endpoints. Supports a migration path and DR functionality from vSphere 7.0.
- The capability of each deployment to serve as both source and recovery endpoints (synchronous sites). There are no dedicated source and destination sites; symmetrical replication flow can be started and managed from either the source or the recovery site, meaning the UI can be accessed from anywhere with the correct context.
- Migration, protection, and control over retained replications (stored instances) as well as flexible RPO policy controls for providers to apply to one Virtual Data Center (VDC) or individual replications via predefined or flexible SLA policies. This helps to control storage costs and provide tiered services to customers. With the latest release, providers have the option to enable 1-minute RPO for mission-critical applications. Since 4.4, the RPO compliance reporting feature has been introduced to keep cloud providers informed about RPO violations to allow both parties to track, monitor, and audit RPO best practices and aid troubleshooting.
- Cold or warm migration to provider VMware Cloud Director-based cloud from on-premises via vSphere plugin or via VMware Cloud Director Availability interface in the provider cloud. Cloud providers and tenants can carry out a fast-track migration with the new 1-click migration feature that automatically replicates using static, basic replication settings.
- Warm one-way migration from vSphere plugin or VMware Cloud Director provider cloud to VMware Cloud on AWS SDDC under Cloud Director service management.
- Layer 2 stretch networking for simpler migrations (and/or disaster recovery) from on-premises to VMware Cloud Director as well as VMware Cloud on AWS.
- Secure tunneling through TCP proxy, between sites with built-in encryption and optional compression availability. Cloud to cloud replicant encryption is also supported using Cloud Director encrypted storage policies at the target.
- Multi-tenant support native within the VMware Cloud Director hierarchy and in-context DRaaS providing administrative simple views and actions directly in VMware Cloud Director. In case of vSphere (V2V) DR and migration, multi-tenancy will be offered in the future. For the moment, this is supported for dedicated vCenter endpoints only.
VMware Cloud Director Availabil- Use Cases
- On-premises to cloud migration (and vice versa*), on-premises to cloud DR (and vice versa), cloud to cloud DR, cross-version VMware Cloud Director migration.
*Vice versa not available from/to Cloud Director Org VDC on VMware Cloud on AWS; this is a one-way migration only.
- Cloud providers using VMware Cloud Director Availability can protect and migrate dedicated on-premises vCenter workloads to vSphere cloud (and vice versa).
To learn more about the VMware Cloud Provider Program, please visit http:// http://www.vmware.com/partners/service-provider.html.